Saturday, February 21, 2009

Self sacrificing love

On my way to soccer practice for my oldest daughter I caught sight of another soccer practice with about 10 little girls and a dad who was out there sacrificing his time to be the "coach" to these adorable little ones. It made me think about my husband who was also on a field at that exact moment coaching our other two daughters. It made me reflect on how much we as parents, sacrifice throughout our children's lives. It's a sacrifice completely worth the effort. Soccer has brought true joy and bonding to our family. We all know that Saturday is a family day just because we have soccer. I thought of all the moms and dads who coach, drive and continuously give of their time and talent to help all these beautiful creatures grow in so many ways through their example of self sacrificing love. Don't get me wrong, my husband loves certain parts of this experience, but mostly it causes him to wonder if he's actually the best one for this "job."

He has to make so many sacrifices to be able to be there for two of our daughters every Saturday, plus practices. But it's all worth it when his daughters show him such gratitude and love just because he's there. In the end, I know our children won't care that daddy didn't make as much money, but they will care that he was there and their coach for all these years.

We are so blessed and I thank God that our Daddy (and all the others out on those fields) has the flexibility in his job to be able to give of this self sacrificing gift to our children.

No comments: