Thursday, October 16, 2008

Daily Roses...

I have just come home from a mom's night out with my home school support group. We were all there to get help and ideas on what to do with our toddlers while schooling the older children. One mom in particular was really needing our advice and while I listened to everyone discuss their lives, I realized that the place for us to find most of our roses, is in our daily lives. One mom said that at the end of the night part of her examination of conscience is to go through her mind and think of one special thing that each child did that day. How many of us go through each day and are so preoccupied with what is on our list that we miss all the roses that God is sending us. What a wonderful idea to stop at the end of each day and count all the blessings that have been sent to us that day. What an even better idea to stop and take the time to thank God for each one and to let Him know that we do it all for His Glory. For without Him, we are nothing.
I have been called to start this blog for sometime. I have a different blog for my family, but I feel this one is to be about so much more than updates and pictures. This is to help all who read it to find the roses that God is sending their way. The reason I chose the roses is because I was sent roses the one time I asked Him to send me a sign. Not just any sign mind you, but a VERY specific sign. When we were discerning homeschooling, I wasn't sure it was part of God's plan for our lives. I prayed a novena to St. Therese and asked for roses to be sent my way as an answer to know we were making the right decision. I boldly asked for white if our children were to stay in school and red if we were to begin homeschooling. I finished my novena on Sat. and foolishly spent the day looking for roses. Of course I found none. Sunday morning after mass I was sharing my confusion with a very dear friend. On Monday afternoon, I realized I had a message from my friend from Sunday. I called back to see what she needed and she asked if I had seen her blouse. I did not remember her sweater. She then told me that it was covered in roses and she had gone back at the last minute to change into it before coming to Mass. I had not told her about the color of the roses, so I anxiously asked her what color they were. Of course to my excitement she told me they were red and the whole blouse was covered in them. The next morning as I was praying I thanked God for sending me the sign and then realized that He sent my friend Theresa with the blouse! How blind are we and how much do we miss while we are busy with our daily distractions. Remember that we all have one goal in this life and it is to make it to Heaven. Pray for me on my journey and I will be praying for all of you. May God bless you with many roses and may you see each one!

9 comments:

Suzi said...

What a wonderful blog with such powerful words. You're so right! I know in this crazy, run-around world, while trying to do so much of what I think I should be doing I need to slow down and smell the roses. They are certainly there, amidst the chaos, everyday! Thanks for such inspiring thoughts to start my day. I look forward to reading more! God Bless!

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read more. I'm so bummed I missed the meeting last night! I had every intention of making it but I guess I had to smell roses here at home instead! I'm on the hunt for roses...

Unknown said...

wonderful!! and even now Therese continues to send roses! I am in the middle of a suffering with Joy Novena with Therese, and here you send this out...amazing...

Michelle McClane said...

How beautiful! Thank you for sharing,,this was certainly a reminder that I do have special roses at home and I need to recognize that more often rather than focussing on how difficult my daily cross can be and thank God for my roses, even if there are thorns at times that I prick myself on. Blessings and love to you, Michelle McClane

Michelle W. said...

Thank you for answering your call, this was so beautiful and something I really need to hear this morning. God has blessed me so much, with my children and family. He has blessed me so much over this past year with all the ladies of the BOL group, with all the support and by the examples set each day. I'm surrounded by so many roses....
Thank you, I so look forward to reading more.
God love you and so do I...
Michelle W.

Neen said...

You worded it so well. Thank you for giving Him a blog!

Kelly Virina said...

When I was single in NY, I used to wander the streets for hours just admiring every building and pothole - they were my roses. Somehow my life distracted me and I lost the ability to see good in everything. God has a funny way of putting us back on track when we're willing to listen. It's even better when you've had it, lost it, and found it again. Remember the thorns are just as beautiful as the sweet petals.
Kelly

AmyB said...

What wonderful, heartfelt words Julie. Reminders like this are so important. Thanks for sharing with us all!

Spring Hailstorm said...

Great job, Julie! You have a gift for expressing yourself, especially in writing. What a wonderful way to praise Him! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!